Baby Boomer Babbling-er-Musings

I'm from the baby boomer generation. I have a mop of white hair, courtesy of my gene pool. And a botox-free face that sports frown lines in the forehead and around the eyes. Love handles instead of a waistline. Can't say I'm exactly crazy about any of these old age indicators but I accept them with grace. And now I've lived long enough now that I ponder on a lot of things, new and old.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Cup is a Cup is a Cup? Right? NOT.

During the holidays, I went through the McDonald’s drive-thru.  “One non-fat hot mocha, please.” 

At the window a young girl leaned toward me with a drink cup in her hand that had whipped cream capped by one of those domed plastic tops.  She also had a straw in the same hand.  I quickly realized that she was offering me a COLD mocha.

“I’m sorry, but I ordered a hot mocha.”

“It is hot,” she said while extending her hand a little further for me to take it. 

I looked from her to the cup and straw.  I was speechless for a moment.  Finally, I told her politely, “I can’t drink hot mocha through a straw.”

“No?”  Her tone was a little disbelieving. 

“No.” I gave a little negative shake of my head.

The girl still had her hand extended as if she still believed I would actually take the hot mocha in a soft drink cup.  For a few seconds, we were at a stalemate. 

Suddenly the thought of drinking a hot mocha through a straw had laughter creeping up from my belly.  I visualized how hot mocha could re-shape a straw.  I really hoped that I didn't have a grin or a smirk on my face as I offered a solution.  “I usually get hot mocha in a coffee cup.”

I thought I could see a dim light bulb turn on.  “Just a moment,” she said and exited the window.  I knew better than to look inside to see what she was doing.  The laughter would have to wait until I pulled away from the window.

She came back to the window, triumphant, and said, “This is better, no?” 

I took the coffee cup from her hand.  “This is better, yes.”

She beamed.  "Merry Christmas."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from readers of my blog! Looking forward to hearing from you...