Baby Boomer Babbling-er-Musings

I'm from the baby boomer generation. I have a mop of white hair, courtesy of my gene pool. And a botox-free face that sports frown lines in the forehead and around the eyes. Love handles instead of a waistline. Can't say I'm exactly crazy about any of these old age indicators but I accept them with grace. And now I've lived long enough now that I ponder on a lot of things, new and old.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Glad I Didn't Miss Out on the Fun!


This is an open letter to my OLDest friend, Janiece.  But if you are not her, you can still read on without guilt.  This is a mini-dissertation on a forty-six year friendship.

OLDest on the left | YOUNGest on the right


Hello, N-Poo aka Birf-day Gurl!

My first instinct was to get overly sentimental and tell you how much the double-significance of your birthday means to me.  

I thought about what my teenage years would have been like if you had not invited me to your 14th Birthday Pajama Party.  Or if in my bashfulness, I had decided not to go. If we had not become fast friends, I would have missed out on so much teenage fun.

The Three Mus-ka-teers might not have come together to create mischief.  I would have missed being a part of that trio of friends who got into some mischief, but not too much thanks to Debby-Do, our cute, short-in-stature, big-in-personality, level-headed pard’ner!  

I would not have gotten to know and love Cotton & Agnes, who were like 2nd parents to me. There would have been no evenings spent at Bud’s store, warming our backsides in front of the heater and drinking cokes filled with peanuts. No cruising Shorter Avenue in your parent's big green Dodge.  

No trips to Florida riding in the back seat, giggling to the point that my parents wanted ear plugs!  No rodeos in Montgomery with Cotton, in our Levi jeans and western shirts with our boots kicking up dust while we gawked at those cowboys!  Still like doing that, how about you?

I would not have known the fun of weekend trail rides and buckin' horses or seeing someone thrown off at the "No Dumping Sign".  I would never have gotten the nickname, "Whoa Doc", or known the need for baseball bats on our saddle horns.  There might not have been any missing saddles and or me shaking in my shoes with a detective knocking on your door.  I think that one was YOUR idea.

Would have missed being pulled behind your Daddy's truck in the snow, sitting next to you in an upturned 1940's car hood, screaming with joy.  Never would have known how delicious a banana sandwich, Kit Kat, and a bottle of cold coke could be.  Would have missed those evenings sitting in the swing on your front porch, talking about boys and discussing other important things like...well, boys.

The great memories go on and on.  Wait!  I also would have missed all that fussin’ and fightin’ like we were sisters, with Debby always being the peacemaker.  Hey, we still do that!!  Which is what snapped me out of this sentimental mush.  

Sooooo, happy birthday with a great BIG FAT ZERO on the end of it!  You are my OLDest friend, oh yeah, my OLD friend for forty-six – count them – 46 years!!  But I’m still younger, na-na-na-nah!  

I have a big, smug grin on my face, which I thought I would mention since in your dotage you might not remember I always do that when talking about your age.

Some things never change.  Some things are steadfast.  Like our friendship and the fact that I will always be youngest!  Love ya, girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from readers of my blog! Looking forward to hearing from you...