Baby Boomer Babbling-er-Musings

I'm from the baby boomer generation. I have a mop of white hair, courtesy of my gene pool. And a botox-free face that sports frown lines in the forehead and around the eyes. Love handles instead of a waistline. Can't say I'm exactly crazy about any of these old age indicators but I accept them with grace. And now I've lived long enough now that I ponder on a lot of things, new and old.

Monday, February 11, 2013

Who am I?

I recently read a blog post entitled, "This is Me", where the author shared an outline on how to get your own personal history written.  I didn't consider that an overwhelming task.  Although I may not always be articulate in speech, the act of stringing words together on paper is one of my favorite things.

The blog title did give me pause and thus my fingers are on the keyboard with these musings.  This is how I tend to describe myself: 

Child of God.
Wife.
Mother.
Grandmother.
Friend.

All correct answers.  I am a child of God.  Always thankful for His grace for my life on earth and the gift of eternal life after death through my Savior, Jesus Christ. That part of the answer will never change.  

Yet my other answers are my identity through others around me.  Wife to Monty. Mother to Ashlee. Someone's daughter until this year (Miss you Mama!)  "Gigi" to two beautiful grandchildren.  A close friend to  a few and a good friend to many.  I consider it a blessing to be those things to all the ones who help enrich my life.

This is the question that was loud in my head, "Who is the real me?"  The answer needs to be one that doesn't define me in terms of other people in my life.  

Me.  Wife to Monty
If asked that question, my husband would say, "I'm Monty" and it would be a complete answer with no clarification needed.  He lives life simply and with self confidence that doesn't involve internal questions that must be pondered about and then answered.  

I can correctly predict that he would raise one eyebrow, shake his head slightly, and walk away thinking, "Who can understand a woman?" He also would feel no burning need to answer that rhetorical question. 

Yes, it definitely is a "woman" thing.  We gals enjoy asking ourselves deep questions.  And if we have a girlfriend around to discuss it for hours and hours, well, the more the better.

So, ladies, take this test.  Look in the mirror and say to yourself, "This is me."  Then ask, "Who is the real me?"  You might want to look around and make sure no one hears you talking to yourself. 


Me.  The Goofball?

I took the test and I don't have all the answers yet.  I'm thinking that I either need some quiet time or seriously need to call a girlfriend...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from readers of my blog! Looking forward to hearing from you...