Baby Boomer Babbling-er-Musings

I'm from the baby boomer generation. I have a mop of white hair, courtesy of my gene pool. And a botox-free face that sports frown lines in the forehead and around the eyes. Love handles instead of a waistline. Can't say I'm exactly crazy about any of these old age indicators but I accept them with grace. And now I've lived long enough now that I ponder on a lot of things, new and old.

Thursday, June 6, 2013

Kiddie's Table Tent

When I bought a $1 twin sheet at the thrift store and a $5 set of canvas curtains at Goodwill, I envisioned a playhouse tent over our dining table. 

The twin sheet would be the roof (top) and the curtain panels would be turned horizontal for the walls (sides).

The playhouse for my two grandchildren is now partially finished.  Ella's “girlie” side is basically complete, although I may add a few more embellishments.

Dining Table Tent Playhouse
[Click on any image to see larger]

On another side panel, for Shepherd's entrance, I will add a fabric brown door and window with “log” fabric facings.  Will post pics later when that side is done.  


SUMMARY OF PLAYHOUSE CONSTRUCTION

When I saw a roll of outdoor plastic picnic table fabric in Walmart, I envisioned window panes for the playhouse.  You see it, right?


Plastic Outdoor Picnic Table Fabric

I cut out a "square" of the plastic material for the "window frame" and then cut out four more "pane" openings.  Using the window frame as a pattern, I traced and cut a square of a clear shower liner, which was $1 at The Dollar Tree.  When the square of clear plastic was glued to the back of the "frame", installation of the "glass" panes was complete.


A Window for the Playhouse

I laid a window section on one of the side "walls" to trace the window opening and then cut out the four squares for panes.

Window Openings

I found a piece of gingham fabric in my sewing stash for curtains.
Gingham Curtains
A square door panel cut from the plastic outdoor fabric.
Fabric "Peel & Stick" to attach door panels

More gingham fabric in my sewing stash became a door.  I used fabric "Peel & Stick" to attach door panels.  A large wood button will be the door knob.

Door

Using the door to measure, I made a vertical cut in the wall for a right-side flap.  I used "Peel 'n Stick" to adhere the door panel to the wall and edge of the flap.  In the photo below you can see that I adhered the "Peel 'n Stick" onto the edge of the fabric flap.
Fabric "Peel 'n Stick" to attach door

Then I peeled off the plastic backing to expose the other sticky side.  Then I pressed the door panel onto the edge of the flap.  I glued one of the metal weights from the bottom of the shower curtain to the bottom of the door flap to weight it down.


Door panel adhered to wall and weight at bottom

For a Disney look, I printed a door sign - using the Waltograph font - onto cardstock.  Punched holes on each top end and used baker's twine to make hanger.


Making the Door Sign

Hanging the Door Sign

I'm happy to report that after much begging and pleading with Ella, I was allowed inside the playhouse, but only after I pretended to be a an Avon representative.  I sold her a little lip gloss on the lips for a penny.  She wanted the whole tube of lip gloss but didn't have enough money!




Looking outside through the window panes
First meal in the new playhouse tent













2 comments:

I love comments from readers of my blog! Looking forward to hearing from you...