Baby Boomer Babbling-er-Musings

I'm from the baby boomer generation. I have a mop of white hair, courtesy of my gene pool. And a botox-free face that sports frown lines in the forehead and around the eyes. Love handles instead of a waistline. Can't say I'm exactly crazy about any of these old age indicators but I accept them with grace. And now I've lived long enough now that I ponder on a lot of things, new and old.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Dropping Stuff on New Year's Eve

At midnight on December 31st there will be ker-thunks all over the country.  The dropping of musical instruments, chocolate, meats, fruits, fish, animals and a whole bunch of other stuff.  This country girl is not sure what the significance of dropping things has to do with ringing in the New Year.  It makes no sense to me, but if it makes people happy then I’m happy. 

In Nashville they are going to drop an 80-ft Les Paul Guitar.  Traverse City, Michigan has their giant Cherry Drop and Mount Olive, NC has their Pickle Drop.  In Lebanon, PA there will be cheers as that 7-ft long bologna drops down.  A giant Moon Pie drops in Mobile, Alabama and in Hershey, PA it's what else but a big, foil-wrapped Chocolate Kiss.  Chatham, Massachusetts lowers a fish for their big Cod Drop.

The folks down here in Georgia will drop a 800-pound peach in Atlanta.  Up north of Hot 'Lanta in Gainesville, there will be Chuck the Chicken Drop.  Winder has the Big Jug Drop.  In Tallapoosa the citizens once celebrated the Possum Drop but the PETA folks got themselves into an uproar about Mister O's safety so now it's doubtful that tradition will continue.  Worry for Mister O's safety is understandable, I suppose, but frankly I never heard of any opossum deaths during their new year's drops.  Fair warning, though, all 'possums crossing the road should beware of country boys in trucks.  

The only drop up here at our cabin on Bucks Mountain will be the soft sound of my head as it hits the pillow.  I have found that the new year will ring in whether I’m awake or not. You young folks enjoy yourselves! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments from readers of my blog! Looking forward to hearing from you...